2006/09/03

On the pier

PierThere are always certain truths that I believe we will have to be constantly reminded of throughout our life, and I think I might have just been reminded again of one of those.

One handsomely dark evening, I found myself chatting with a friend on the pier about my thoughts, and about the beauty of community in spite of stark differences that seem to face us as Christians in the body. Although I rarely am able to see the error in my ways, I try to be open to the reality of my constant imperfection; and what I came to conclude had nothing to do with our dialogue directly but was so beautifully represented accidentally through that dialogue. As I listened to myself, I started to hear a hollow sounding voice that didn't resound the Truth that I was so dearly seeking after.

I'm not saying that I was wrong about everything I was saying, but I didn't feel any life in it anymore. Something that used to be a passionate throbbing in my heart for these ideas (and some might call ideals) had turned into nothing more than the very empty and heartless logic I was trying to fight.

Have I been ignoring the fellowship with his Spirit in favour of arguing my good ideas? Have I been neglecting the true nature of community with Jesus and His church in favour of arguing about it? Don't we all sometimes?

4 comments:

Rob Petkau said...

Now THAT... is a flippin' good question! I think I'll ask it of myself, and get back to you.

Jaime said...

Hmmmm....good thoughts there Delbert. Good to ponder over.
I am intrigued by your comments you left for me recently. If you ever figure out the "why" let me know. I am curious!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Graham...like Jacob, it's always good to have a wrestling match with God...almost like him, we come away walking a little differently, Good stuff, I love it when you dig deep bro'. Peace...Ron+

MC said...

No comment on your subject matter imparticular right now. But just want to say that your wriing style is elegant and flowing. Keep it up.