2006/07/26

So who's going to watch you die?

" 'Cause there's no comfort in the waiting room
Just nervous pacers bracing for bad news
And then the nurse comes round and everyone will lift their heads
But I'm thinking of what Sarah said...

that "Love is watching someone die"


So who's going to watch you die?.. "

, What Sarah Said - Death Cab for Cutie


I had heard this song a dozen times before it clicked... and once it did I was blown away by my Father once again. How many ways can love be portrayed in such a powerful way as this. When I see love, I see the woman crying at Jesus feet because she can't find any other way to express this furious love for Him. Sarah sees someone holding a loved one's hand during their last minutes. Love is such an amazing thing that can be expressed in so many different ways, and I think I'm guilty of trying to equate it to numbers and formulas when I should really just spend some time in awe of it.

God created love so we could experience Him. Just as much as He created the mountains so we could see His majesty, He created this experience of love so that we could know Him deeper through it. I want to know love. Spend some time in awe of this thing of love. What do you see?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost died this year... It is a terrible feeling, sitting there alone, and knowing that no one will come visit.

"Shut-ins" are the people we need to be ministering to.

The few disciples that broke a hole in the ceiling and lowered the lame man to jesus are to be commended, I want to be like that, "carrying a person to Christ that can't carry themselves."

Lauren said...

I think real love is incredibly hard to describe. It's one of the few feelings that just reaches beyond words. Fake love though, makes you feel good. That's a decent description, right?

Lauren said...

yeah I've actually read all 3 of D-Miller's books. Through Painted Deserts was pretty good considering it was his first, but I think of the three he wrote Searching For God Knows What is my fave.

Delbert said...

Not to avoid your question, but i'd like to mention that the song wasn't refering to a situation of euthanasia but a rather tragedy of some sort.

But on the note of euthanasia, i can completely empathize with the situation of euthanasia. i currently even have an 88 year old grandmother that just a few days ago went in for surgery for cancer and is now just about to start chemotherapy, so the topic is on my mind to say the least.

I am less opposed to it than you might think, because to be alive isn't necessarily the same as having life to me. but to try and legislate a matter that very often involves inheritances and things like that can be tricky. and i am very aware that it can become a very slippery slope to make generalizations on the topic.

And i'm glad to have had you stop by because just the other day i took a look at your blog so it really was a pleasant surprise to hear from you!