2005/10/13

I Concede...

Apologetics are almost an artwork for some people. Such elaborate moves of grace and precision remind me of the finesse that you might see on the ballet stage. And for anyone who knows very much about me, I really enjoy being right, and whenever possible I try to be right...

... even when I'm wrong.

When I say something inconsiderate and apologize, there's a little bit of me that wants to say "Oh, but this is why I had to do it!!! No really, it was hardly even my decision!" Often, an apology can be accompanied by such subtle manipulative excuses to almost make the apology into an accusation. That makes me less wrong, right? Hrmm... that was too easy.

Think about it in love. When I apologize, I can't apologize for them; I apologize for what I have done and forgive for anything that is left to forgive. Something I've been trying to do in asking for forgiveness is purposely put aside my "excuses". Why hash up all the reasons that I think make it less my fault? Why say, "Oh I'm sorry, I was busy over here" when I could actually just apologize for what I was doing; "Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't being a very good listener; please go on". Why make it easier for the enemy to sneak his way into my words? Why not make it clear what I really mean? Why throw the blame on someone else when I can only apologize for myself?

It's harder than you might think! Biting your tongue can be one of the hardest things to do (after all, it is a venomous snake). I challenge anyone brave enough to try it. Make your apologies sincere and not laced with hidden accusations. Come on... say it...

I concede.

1 comment:

~WandererShe~ said...

That's so true, great encouragement Graham